AEW and NJPW are teaming up for Forbidden Door on June 26th, 2022.
The card has been ravaged by injuries, but there are still a lot of quality match-ups on the show.
The show will be headlined with Jon Moxley taking on Hiroshi Tanahashi for the AEW Interim World Championship. The winner of this match will face off with CM Punk on his eventual return from injury to crown an undisputed champion. Right now Moxley is a big favorite at -700, but I actually like the odds on Tanahashi at +400. A Tana win would allow them to do that big match that they originally wanted to do here and save Moxley for down the road. He loses nothing by losing to Tanahashi.
The show will also feature Jay White defending his IWGP World Heavyweight championship against Kazuchika Okada, Adam Page, and Adam Cole in a four way. White is a -300 favorite here and there seems to be little chance of him losing. He just won this thing and title changes in four-ways is not really what NJPW does.
Complete odds for the show are below:
AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door Betting Odds:
Betting odds from BetOnline.Ag.
- Interim AEW World Championship: Jon Moxley (-700) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi (+400)
- IWGP World Heavyweight Championship: Jay White (-300) vs. Kazuchika Okada (+240) vs. Adam Page (+600) vs. Adam Cole (+800)
- IWGP US Championship: Will Ospreay (-1000) vs. Orange Cassidy (+550)
- AEW All-Atlantic Championship: Miro (-175) vs. Malakai Black (+235) vs. PAC (+400) vs. Tomohiro Ishii (+750)
- IWGP/ ROH World Tag Team Championship: FTR (-350) vs. Roppongi Vice (+350) vs. United Empire (+400)
- Zack Sabre Jr. (+150) vs. Mystery Opponent (-200)
- Chris Jericho, Minoru Suzuki & Sammy Guevara (-300) vs. Shota Umino, Wheeler Yuta & Eddie Kingston (+200)
- Darby Allin, Sting, Shingo, and Hiromu Takahashi (-110) vs. Young Bucks, Hikuleo & El Phantasmo (-130)
- Gunn Club & Max Caster (-250) vs. NJPW L.A. Dojo (+170)
- Thunder Rosa (-400) vs. Toni Storm (+250)
The rule of thumb with surprises is to always bet on the surprise and I don’t see that being much different in the Zack Sabre Jr. match.
There are only a couple of potential upsets I see outside of Tanahashi.
The biggest is Toni Storm at +250 over Thunder Rosa. I know she’s new to the company, but AEW already seems more behind Toni than they’ve ever seemed to be behind Rosa. All of the rumored backstage drama probably doesn’t help Rosa either.
The other one isn’t really an upset, but a good value. Darby Allin, Sting, Shingo, and Hiromu Takahashi at -110 look like a great bet. For one, this is going to be the show opener so you know they like to start with something to get the crowd hyped and excited. Second of all, if you count up who you think will win, AEW seems to have a slight advantage over NJPW in the wins column.The politics involved in these things are usually really tight with who wins what and I could see NJPW wanting a win here. The teams are mixed, but there is a pretty vast difference between Hiromu and Shingo and Hikuleo and El Phantasmo in the pecking order.
It should be a great show this Sunday.